- Thanks to Mayor Euille’s bright idea, and through the combined efforts of Advocates for Alexandria Aquatics (AAA), the city of Alexandria and the DASH bus system, families in the neighborhoods affected by this summer’s closure of Warwick Pool can ride DASH buses on the AT10 route for free to the Old Town Pool between now and Labor Day. The cost of the “Splash with DASH” service is being underwritten by local businesses. Between 9:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. on weekdays and 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. on weekends, all AT10 riders can travel for free to stores and restaurants, Duncan Library, and the King Street metro station as well as Old Town Pool. This initiative is also an example of AAA’s partnership with USA Swimming Foundation’s Make A Splash program to provide learn-to-swim opportunities for all children.
- Work has officially commenced on the new pool at Warwick. Soil testing has begun, and the existing building is being assessed for needed repairs (more details here). This is the first step in a process that will include preliminary design plans and opportunities for community input. The new pool should be completed by late 2016.
- There is also progress at Chinquapin. The soil testing and geotechnical work at that site was scheduled to begin on July 13 (more details here). The data that are gathered through this process will provide important information for determining the cost of a new 50-meter pool there. The consultant group should have a revised cost estimate by this fall. To stay up-to-date on Chinquapin 50-meter pool developments, join the AAA email list.
Attention Parents of Rising Seniors:
- Free college admission essay workshops for rising seniors with Karen Schwarz (aka the Essaymom) will be held on July 27, August 6 and August 17 in Room A108 on the King Street campus. All workshops are from 3:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. and will cover the same information so students should sign up for just one date. To register, contact Samantha Christian at email@example.com, and include your name, email, cell phone number and date you wish to attend. For more information, or to get a head start, visit www.essaymom.net or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Upcoming testing dates for the SAT and SAT subject tests:
October 3 (register by September 3)
November 7 (register by October 9)
December 5 (register by November 5)
TC School Code: 470051; SAT Test Center Code: 47115
(FYI: The redesigned SAT will be given for the first time in March 2016.)
- Upcoming testing dates for the ACT:
September 12 (register by August 7)
October 24 (register by September 18)
December 12 (register by November 6)
TC School Code: 470051; ACT Test Center Code: 233860